Morning solitude
It was so cold when I woke up this morning. But it was a good thing. Spent some time feeling drowsy and unable to focus on work because of a cloud of fog in my head.
In response to the beginnings of a thunderstorm in my belly I decided to go to the nearby shopping centre to get myself some Kaya because I had run out and all I could think about then was a good warm piece of toast and sweetness.
People who sleep in have NO idea what they are missing out on. You think lying cuddled warm in one's bed is one of the pleasures of life? Well you haven't tried walking out in the quiet of the morning, especially when it has rained the night before and the roads have transformed themselves, the usually hard tone of the dry cement and tar softened and crying. And the smell! I can't even explain it. I've never figured out what it is. It probably is as simple as the smell of the rain. Kind of like how there is a different smell when it rains, except that one does not have to suffer the rain to enjoy it. I always imagine that as the rain evaporates, adding humidity to the environment, there is a thick layer of water vapour and it just envelopes me. That somehow everything is fuzzy and I am the only thing in focus in existence. It's the excitement of seeing everything wake up. The smell of fresh bread from the bakery. The friendlier people. Truely! I think without the large crowds in the morning people are willing to take more time to think and talk. And there is no need to dodge left and right to avoid the swarming crowds.
Of course...the unfortunate thing is some stores aren't open yet. No kaya! But no worries...there's always a dozen cafes around.
Best of all is when you return home with a nice, packed warm breakfast in your doggy bag. And you can just sit quietly and breathe in the tantalising salts of bacon and sweetness of syrup and know that you can have a nice slow, CALM breakfast, and the whole day still awaits you because really, it has only just begun.
In response to the beginnings of a thunderstorm in my belly I decided to go to the nearby shopping centre to get myself some Kaya because I had run out and all I could think about then was a good warm piece of toast and sweetness.
People who sleep in have NO idea what they are missing out on. You think lying cuddled warm in one's bed is one of the pleasures of life? Well you haven't tried walking out in the quiet of the morning, especially when it has rained the night before and the roads have transformed themselves, the usually hard tone of the dry cement and tar softened and crying. And the smell! I can't even explain it. I've never figured out what it is. It probably is as simple as the smell of the rain. Kind of like how there is a different smell when it rains, except that one does not have to suffer the rain to enjoy it. I always imagine that as the rain evaporates, adding humidity to the environment, there is a thick layer of water vapour and it just envelopes me. That somehow everything is fuzzy and I am the only thing in focus in existence. It's the excitement of seeing everything wake up. The smell of fresh bread from the bakery. The friendlier people. Truely! I think without the large crowds in the morning people are willing to take more time to think and talk. And there is no need to dodge left and right to avoid the swarming crowds.
Of course...the unfortunate thing is some stores aren't open yet. No kaya! But no worries...there's always a dozen cafes around.
Best of all is when you return home with a nice, packed warm breakfast in your doggy bag. And you can just sit quietly and breathe in the tantalising salts of bacon and sweetness of syrup and know that you can have a nice slow, CALM breakfast, and the whole day still awaits you because really, it has only just begun.

3 Comments:
I like night solitude better :P. I think you can infer from that that I'm someone who sleeps in. -KT
A.Yu, you're turning poetic! You make it sound so nice, but I'm still with KT on this. ;) I know what you mean about walking out after it's rained and the roads are quiet and cool - only it was at night.
Plus I think for me the morning comes with the promise - ok more like threat - of light! and heat! and more humidity! and I absolutely hate those things.
- Rachel
wow u made it sound so nice, that i feel like flying over now to try it.. and dun worry, i wouldn't think "w/h" is rude haha..
Post a Comment
<< Home