American Exchange Sighz
I WANT TO GO ON EXCHANGE.
I WANT TO GO ON EXCHANGE SOOOOOO BAD.
Okay wait. I don't just want to go on exchange so bad to anywhere. I want to go on exchange so bad in the US. SOOOO SOOOO BAD.
I want to be able to enjoy uni on a pass/fail basis too. HAHA. Shhhh...don't tell the faculty exchange staff.
Oh man. That's the problem with having gone to the US on my month long holiday. It's like on the one hand I could have been spooked and chosen to come back w/ my tail b/n my legs and whining in one corner. But no...the whole experience has made me long for the US even MORE.
The people, the culture. Okay okay, so it's not going to be like traditional culture like Europe or the UK but THAT's exactly why I like it.
I like the fact that everything about the US is so modern. That even heritage buildings aren't so old and Victorian. That they move on. I hate the English and European buildings w/ their old style and snobby art elite.
I want the crazy idiosyncratic US people. Esp blacks. Man are they hilarious. And I love their slang. Oops...don't tell me that if you had to categorise me I'd fit right w/ the Bronx. Not to insult them, I'll never understand poverty and what it's like living day to day not knowing if you're going to get shot for nothing. But there is something about their spirit that's so appealing.
And I love how all the American men I've ever met are so gentlemanly. SERIOUSLY. Obviously this is going to be a skewed sample, but wherever I went in the US the American men would hold open the doors for me. HAHA. Even when my dad and I went golfing w/ his American client back in Singapore the client helped me carry my golf bag (w/h freaked me out 'cos like HE was the customer right? Was I not supposed to be the one carrying HIS bag?) and no matter what whenever we were at a door he would ALWAYS wait at the door and open it for me even if I was far behind. WHOA. And the car doors too.
And the Americans really know how to hug. Okay I know I'm not a very huggy person by nature. But for some reason there's a big difference b/n the hugs I've received in Aus and certainly Singapore, and the hugs I've gotten by Americans.
Then there was this fella in my first semester in IH. I can't remember his name. Short American fella. Anyway, I asked him what his room was like 'cos I was wondering if I should try to put that down as a preferred IH room for the next year. And he was so friendly and accomodating. I know anyone can be accomodating and friendly and be more than willing to show you their room. Even I would be. But there's an American charm I can't explain. It's just different.
And no, it has nothing to do w/ the White guys are so much more handsome and appealing than white girls kind of thing. For one thing, I actually prefer Asian guys. White guys, they look too boring. Even the blonde haired blue eyed typical handsome dude doesn't cut it for me. Never liked Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise. Although I must say Brad Pitt looks better w/ dark hair. Tom Cruise, always been brown anyway? No hope. :P Even all the white guys I did like and who I thought were handsome are seeming duller. Now I'm only left w/ a list of white babes who I think look so hot. NO I'm not lesbian thank you very much. My point is. I'm not enamoured by all things white, plus the fact that I think black culture in the US just rocks. There are just some things that are just seemingingly better in the US than Aus. Of course i love Singapore too. B/n Singapore and the US I'd be hard pressed to choose either. But b/n Aus and the US, the choice is hands down.
And that brings me back to my main point: I want to go to the US sooooooo BAD.
I WANT TO GO ON EXCHANGE SOOOOOO BAD.
Okay wait. I don't just want to go on exchange so bad to anywhere. I want to go on exchange so bad in the US. SOOOO SOOOO BAD.
I want to be able to enjoy uni on a pass/fail basis too. HAHA. Shhhh...don't tell the faculty exchange staff.
Oh man. That's the problem with having gone to the US on my month long holiday. It's like on the one hand I could have been spooked and chosen to come back w/ my tail b/n my legs and whining in one corner. But no...the whole experience has made me long for the US even MORE.
The people, the culture. Okay okay, so it's not going to be like traditional culture like Europe or the UK but THAT's exactly why I like it.
I like the fact that everything about the US is so modern. That even heritage buildings aren't so old and Victorian. That they move on. I hate the English and European buildings w/ their old style and snobby art elite.
I want the crazy idiosyncratic US people. Esp blacks. Man are they hilarious. And I love their slang. Oops...don't tell me that if you had to categorise me I'd fit right w/ the Bronx. Not to insult them, I'll never understand poverty and what it's like living day to day not knowing if you're going to get shot for nothing. But there is something about their spirit that's so appealing.
And I love how all the American men I've ever met are so gentlemanly. SERIOUSLY. Obviously this is going to be a skewed sample, but wherever I went in the US the American men would hold open the doors for me. HAHA. Even when my dad and I went golfing w/ his American client back in Singapore the client helped me carry my golf bag (w/h freaked me out 'cos like HE was the customer right? Was I not supposed to be the one carrying HIS bag?) and no matter what whenever we were at a door he would ALWAYS wait at the door and open it for me even if I was far behind. WHOA. And the car doors too.
And the Americans really know how to hug. Okay I know I'm not a very huggy person by nature. But for some reason there's a big difference b/n the hugs I've received in Aus and certainly Singapore, and the hugs I've gotten by Americans.
Then there was this fella in my first semester in IH. I can't remember his name. Short American fella. Anyway, I asked him what his room was like 'cos I was wondering if I should try to put that down as a preferred IH room for the next year. And he was so friendly and accomodating. I know anyone can be accomodating and friendly and be more than willing to show you their room. Even I would be. But there's an American charm I can't explain. It's just different.
And no, it has nothing to do w/ the White guys are so much more handsome and appealing than white girls kind of thing. For one thing, I actually prefer Asian guys. White guys, they look too boring. Even the blonde haired blue eyed typical handsome dude doesn't cut it for me. Never liked Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise. Although I must say Brad Pitt looks better w/ dark hair. Tom Cruise, always been brown anyway? No hope. :P Even all the white guys I did like and who I thought were handsome are seeming duller. Now I'm only left w/ a list of white babes who I think look so hot. NO I'm not lesbian thank you very much. My point is. I'm not enamoured by all things white, plus the fact that I think black culture in the US just rocks. There are just some things that are just seemingingly better in the US than Aus. Of course i love Singapore too. B/n Singapore and the US I'd be hard pressed to choose either. But b/n Aus and the US, the choice is hands down.
And that brings me back to my main point: I want to go to the US sooooooo BAD.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home