Thursday, April 20, 2006

V for Vendetta

Just watched V for Vendetta today. I LIKE it. No spoilers here so it's safe to read...I think.

It wasn't inspirational and croonworthy. But I tend to like films once they are based on historical events but then given a new twist. And I like seeing images and references in films that I can relate to the modern political environment.

I didn't realise one thing though, w/h was actually painfully obvious. The similarity to the Phantom of the Opera and Evey's and V's kind of love hate relationship. As my friend says, it was Stockholm's syndrome. HAHA. Probably.

But boy oh boy, while the ending, if described in brief was acceptable, the way they did it was SOOOOO bad. I felt like cringing. At one point my friend laughed out loud and I was like 'SHHHH!!' How embarrassing!!! Luckily we were right at the back, but given the theatre wasn't that big...I don't think our location really made much of a difference.

Anyhow the ending was WAY over dramatised. SO STUPID. Kind of like when Darth Vadar screamed 'Nooooooooooo!' at the the end of Star Wars III: something or another of the Sith. Hilarious instead of meaningful. But I don't think that anything can top the hilarity of that 'NOOOOOOOOO' in Star Wars. And the Wachowski brothers could have stayed OUT of it for the action scenes. Argh. Are we not sick of the whole Matrix slow-mo thing by now?

And also sometimes there is too much speaking. I mean it's a movie. The no. 1 rule is don't talk too much if not you might as well write a novel instead.

Anyway came back and read up a bit about Guy Fawkes w/h made the screenplay EVEN BETTER. Wow! I hadn't realised that the whole set up of the movie really was based on the history of Guy Fawkes. Only to me Guy Fawkes' fervour for Catholicism isn't something I can understand and I don't really relate it exactly w/ the theme of the movie, but I can see how it's related. The idea that it's the government in control of what people think and instilling fear in it's people. But I guess in the past religion was government, so in that sense it still is parallel.

Bimbotic note: I LUV Natalie Portman in luscious curly hair. Her hair really has this beautiful sheen man. I'm a bit tired of her face now. Used to like her beauty. But now it's just the hair man. Just the hair.

You guys MUST watch it. If not for the whole 'one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist' and 1984 ideas, then at least for a very unforgettable/unmissable scene w/ the bishop. Hmmm...:)

Rae: YH is SOOOOO blur. During a particular scene where something very errr...interesting was going on she turned to me and said 'what is xyz doing?' and I was like 'errr...he's doing something unnatural'. And only when it became obvious she was like 'OH.' Heh. If you want to know more ask and I'll email you about it. HAHA. But ONLY if you've already watched the show or don't intend to watch it though. I wouldn't want to spoil the scene for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home