Saturday, June 03, 2006

Go Dixie Chicks!

Oh gosh. I really like the Dixie Chicks now!!!!

I LOVE "Not Ready to Make Nice". And by the way I'm disgusted w/ the Australian media. Or at least channel...actually I can't remember which channel, the one has the Melbourne morning show. 'cos they were talking about how they liked the Dixie Chicks and how they couldn't understand why the Dixie Chicks made their comment on Bush and why they wouldn't stop now. And how their music doesn't sound like they're sorry. And I'm like...*jaw drops*. Well excuse me they don't sound sorry because they're NOT sorry.

Personally I don't have much of an opinion on whether I think Bush was wrong or not, but I do believe that both sides have their very very valid points and so I don't see why the Dixie Chicks, in particular Natalie Maines was lamblasted for voicing her opinion in what is supposed to be a country of 'free speech'. And now, 3 years later since their kind of disappearance from the public, when all the gushing overflow of patrioticism for the US by the Americans has died down a little (that is not to say it is wrong to be patriotic but one has to admit the Americans were probably a little too sensitive about criticism of their country due to 9/11), you would think that people will get their heads around that and see that the Dixie Chicks had every right to voice their opinion, esp in Australia who you would think is able to see the situation from an outsider's point of view, and esp PUBLIC talk show hosts, who should know better that what they say is heard by the Australian public. For a country that tries to ally itself w/ a 'freedom of speech' country, I find it just confounding.

The Western states are just full of contradictions I tell you. They let one have their rights for silly little things, like how some woman from Pennsylvania just won $2m for some lawsuit against a matching making agency for bad matches, or how you can sue Macs and win for burning yourself on their hot coffee/tea, and yet you just voice your opinion and ARGH!!! you're a target. And the sad thing it's for voicing your opinion on the important things, where your opinion should count the most, that you get into trouble for.

Australia isn't any better I tell you. They say they wanna give Australians a fair go, but watching the politics...I don't know I get a very sick feeling that people in this country aren't treated right somehow. I mean there's no good reason behind me saying that. I guess it all comes with how there's so much emphasis here in the media which gives an impression of how Australians are such loving caring people to a point it's sickly sweet and makes me feel like it's all fake, esp when there is so much white-collar crime going on. And when I see how their welfare system here is so wonky. And how the monopoly on the phone system literally cheats people out of their money. I feel that the major players in australian industry, that are representative of Australia, well, that they pretty much cheat people and take advantage of their monopoly. So much for a fair go. And then they turn on the immigrants like it's their fault. Excuse me, fix your own country first I say before you point fingers at other people.

Maybe I watch too much Today Tonight and A Current Affair....Oh well...

Anyway I like these lines from "Not Ready to Make Nice":

It's a sad sad story
That a mother will teach her daughter that she ought to hate a perfect stranger
And how in the world can the words that I said send somebody so over the edge
That they'd write me a letter
Saying that I better shut up and sing
Or my life will be over

I don't know whether they've made any public statement about their lyrics. But I intepreted this as the death threats they probably received from someone who disagreed w/ them.

Anyway, I intend to buy their CD once I get back to Singapore. I say Singapore and not here because I've suddenly become very mindful of the tonnes of stuff I may have to bring back to Singapore when I've graduated. AHHH!!!!! That deserves a whole other entry in itself

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home