Friday, September 01, 2006

Ghee, gelato, gelatin, sorbet and quantas

Hey Eileen, remember last time when we had Annalakhshmi (sp) in Perth and we saw they were using Ghee and you were worried cos it isn't vegetarian. Well there actually is vegetarian Ghee, so that's probably what they were using. However, it appears that it is actually healthier to eat animal Ghee than vegetarian Ghee 'cos some studies (assuming you want to believe them) show that ghee is mostly saturated fat, but that of animal Ghee actually lowers LDLs but vegetarian Ghee doesn't. WHOOT.

Also gelato does not have gelatin, or should not have that unless it's a rogue trader (HAHA pun not intended) or something.

And sorbet is the healthiest 'cos it uses a water base.

Finally I doubt McFlurry uses pig fat, 'cos I looked at the Mac's ingredients and the only things that may have animal in it other than the milk and cream are the emulsifiers. In particular E471, which we are not told whether it is soy or not (but a website I found suggests it is probably soy but I can't say for sure since it says the E471 of mac's might have traces of soy or soy oil), but apparently most places will use the vegetable version of E471, not the animal version, 'cos the former is cheaper. If so, then it's safe for you to eat McFlurry Eileen! And now you and Dirk can go argue together. ALSO to add to more fuel for your heated discussion on Quantas, when my mum was here she said it was a horrible airlines. Delays and stuff. In fact it was lucky that she didn't stay at the motel in perth 'cos she arrived in perth about 2 hours late so she had an even shorter layover than expected. And then on her way home, she had to transit at Sydney/perth? (well somewhere) and she had a delay there too and lots of stress so she said she'll never take Quantas again.

As for the US Open tickets, I forgot I have relatives in the US. Yes, it's very possible when you haven't seen them since you were 7. So I think it's best if I ask them since I intend to visit them anyway. Will give me an excuse to look them up. AND if I'm lucky, if for some reason I can't go there after all, it's likely they can help me sell the tickets to people they know since they live relatively near the venue of the US Open. Then again...anywhere in the US is relatively near compared to Singapore.

JP Morgan: Neh Paul. The first round is only handing in the proposal. So unless my team is one of the top ten in Mel U we won't get to present our proposal and hence we won't meet anyone from the company.

4 Comments:

Blogger Eileen said...

There you go! I was just telling Dirk about the ghee thing last year man. :) And I guess the thing about gelato is that it has milk more than anything, so poor baby veal calves. Though I'm no longer vegan. :P

And same with McFlurry, I thought we went online to look at the ingredients together? :D Well, yah no animal fat, more of the fact it's dairy. :)

Don't like sorbet much (apart from lime), too healthy.

And it's actually Qantas, unless you're detracting people from that fact because it's a commercial name. Yah. E.T. and I are flying Virgin Blue to Adelaide, and Dirk's flying Qantas. More on my blog!

3:08 PM  
Blogger Wai said...

Thanks for clearing that up. ;) Will be glad to forward the fruits of your research to my aunt, who's lacto-vegetarian. Though on hindsight, I think she probably already knows.

Anyway, glad to see something other than a gloom and doom post here. School can be such a drag. :(

1:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that just means u have to get into the top 10. lol.

1:14 AM  
Blogger SQ14 said...

gosh a black guy's hitting on me

3:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home