Birthday update
Me very happy. Simple things, good friends, good times = good birthday. I have to say that until I came to Australia I've never had such good birthdays.
In 2004 YH and I planned to celebrate our birthdays on the 22nd 'cos that was right in the middle of our birthdays. But my friends still celebrated my birthday on the 20th, and got a small cake for me, and we even bought a bottle of wine the night before to reign in my birthday. On the 22nd itself we caught a movie, had dinner then had ice-cream cake and drinks at a friend's place. The cake started to melt so we had to dig into the cake directly with our spoons which ended up way more fun than if it had been proper slices. And this whole time YH and I are living together, sharing the same bed at our friend's apartment. And then on her birthday we had ANOTHER cake and celebration. First time I've ever had two birthdays by the same group of people for me. HAHAHAHA.
Last year to celebrate my 21st I went to Perth and met up with Eileen and Allen. To put it symbolically, it was like moving towards the future, but yet celebrating it with the past, with friends who have known me since I was 13, and were present to see me move toward full legal adulthood. The birthday celebration itself was a cheesecake with a Nando's fry candle, and Mac's McFlurry (a combination sure to make one sick).Upon returning to Melbourne, I went golfing on the day itself and was 'surprised' the night before by college friends with a cake (it's a college tradition hence the commas) and a call from Eileen. A few days later, when uni had started, I was REALLy surprised when I came back to my apartment and was surprised by a SECOND celebration (partly brought on by the fact that college gives students a free cake on their 21sts). This time I was REALLY surprised. To cap the year off, I went backpacking to the US, determined to make it a fabulous 21st YEAR and not just a fabulous 21st birthday.
My 22nd started out a bit slow, with no plans other than running errands. I got a pleasant surprise when Eileen called me and we talked and talked and talked. She scared me a little when she told me what she was thinking about giving me for my birthday because I had planned to send her Taro Rolls. Hmmm.....got to think of a better substitute if you really give me that gift Eileen! But it is a GREAT gift I think, and just knowing you were thinking of it makes me happy already, so even if you don't get it, know that I am already very happily content.
The rest of the day I ran those errands. I also indulged in a bit of shopping, finally buying a Mel U shirt that I was always unsure of whether I should buy. But I figured, hey it's my bday, I should get it. Then I went to book my friend's cake for her birthday. And that made me feel happy, accomplished that I had finished my errands, and also happy that I was doing something for someone else on my bday.
At night I met up with friends for dinner at a Mexican Restaurant. I had a $25 discount voucher. HAHA. And I treated everyone 'cos the place was a bit expensive and I felt bad. But what was intended to assuage my guilt ended up making me feel really happy. Strangely I have come to learn that I may be very selfish when it comes to many things in life, and it almost seems like my nature to put myself first, but when it comes to making my friends happy, I seem to put them first, and that's when I feel even happier. ARGHH...what's wrong with me? I actually like my selfish self! And yes, I'm not afraid to admit I think people should just be more selfish. I mean...at least don't be hypocritically unselfish. Just be frank if you don't want to share. So there. Will cause less irritation and probably heartache in this world.
Also had my first magharita ever. Actually was 4 of them 'cos we ordered 4 different flavours. Then we had my cake, which was Limoncello. Some lime flavoured cake with alcohol. Also got FANTASTIC PERFECT GIFTS. To put it briefly: I got a bag which was timely because my old bag was falling apart from within AND without. Got a golf thing, which ALWAYS makes me happy. And got a game, that I can play with friends next time when they come over.
Went walking a bit after that to walk off the sugar high (literally) and came back to my apartment to talk crap. HAPPINESS!
Came back home and my mum called me to wish me happy birthday. YAY!
I wonder how come I didn't have birthdays like that in Singapore. Was probably just me. I guess I was happy just celebrating it with my family. But then I didn't know what I was missing out on. It has something to do with the fact that you end up really close to people when you're overseas, and this year in particular, I realise it's my last birthday in Australia (unless I do a 180 degree turn and decide to stay here to work) so somehow I feel I HAVE to plan my bday and do something. Yet despite all the planning I can still be pleasantly surprised. Friends are wonderful (hmmm that sounds like a line from Sesame Street).
In 2004 YH and I planned to celebrate our birthdays on the 22nd 'cos that was right in the middle of our birthdays. But my friends still celebrated my birthday on the 20th, and got a small cake for me, and we even bought a bottle of wine the night before to reign in my birthday. On the 22nd itself we caught a movie, had dinner then had ice-cream cake and drinks at a friend's place. The cake started to melt so we had to dig into the cake directly with our spoons which ended up way more fun than if it had been proper slices. And this whole time YH and I are living together, sharing the same bed at our friend's apartment. And then on her birthday we had ANOTHER cake and celebration. First time I've ever had two birthdays by the same group of people for me. HAHAHAHA.
Last year to celebrate my 21st I went to Perth and met up with Eileen and Allen. To put it symbolically, it was like moving towards the future, but yet celebrating it with the past, with friends who have known me since I was 13, and were present to see me move toward full legal adulthood. The birthday celebration itself was a cheesecake with a Nando's fry candle, and Mac's McFlurry (a combination sure to make one sick).Upon returning to Melbourne, I went golfing on the day itself and was 'surprised' the night before by college friends with a cake (it's a college tradition hence the commas) and a call from Eileen. A few days later, when uni had started, I was REALLy surprised when I came back to my apartment and was surprised by a SECOND celebration (partly brought on by the fact that college gives students a free cake on their 21sts). This time I was REALLY surprised. To cap the year off, I went backpacking to the US, determined to make it a fabulous 21st YEAR and not just a fabulous 21st birthday.
My 22nd started out a bit slow, with no plans other than running errands. I got a pleasant surprise when Eileen called me and we talked and talked and talked. She scared me a little when she told me what she was thinking about giving me for my birthday because I had planned to send her Taro Rolls. Hmmm.....got to think of a better substitute if you really give me that gift Eileen! But it is a GREAT gift I think, and just knowing you were thinking of it makes me happy already, so even if you don't get it, know that I am already very happily content.
The rest of the day I ran those errands. I also indulged in a bit of shopping, finally buying a Mel U shirt that I was always unsure of whether I should buy. But I figured, hey it's my bday, I should get it. Then I went to book my friend's cake for her birthday. And that made me feel happy, accomplished that I had finished my errands, and also happy that I was doing something for someone else on my bday.
At night I met up with friends for dinner at a Mexican Restaurant. I had a $25 discount voucher. HAHA. And I treated everyone 'cos the place was a bit expensive and I felt bad. But what was intended to assuage my guilt ended up making me feel really happy. Strangely I have come to learn that I may be very selfish when it comes to many things in life, and it almost seems like my nature to put myself first, but when it comes to making my friends happy, I seem to put them first, and that's when I feel even happier. ARGHH...what's wrong with me? I actually like my selfish self! And yes, I'm not afraid to admit I think people should just be more selfish. I mean...at least don't be hypocritically unselfish. Just be frank if you don't want to share. So there. Will cause less irritation and probably heartache in this world.
Also had my first magharita ever. Actually was 4 of them 'cos we ordered 4 different flavours. Then we had my cake, which was Limoncello. Some lime flavoured cake with alcohol. Also got FANTASTIC PERFECT GIFTS. To put it briefly: I got a bag which was timely because my old bag was falling apart from within AND without. Got a golf thing, which ALWAYS makes me happy. And got a game, that I can play with friends next time when they come over.
Went walking a bit after that to walk off the sugar high (literally) and came back to my apartment to talk crap. HAPPINESS!
Came back home and my mum called me to wish me happy birthday. YAY!
I wonder how come I didn't have birthdays like that in Singapore. Was probably just me. I guess I was happy just celebrating it with my family. But then I didn't know what I was missing out on. It has something to do with the fact that you end up really close to people when you're overseas, and this year in particular, I realise it's my last birthday in Australia (unless I do a 180 degree turn and decide to stay here to work) so somehow I feel I HAVE to plan my bday and do something. Yet despite all the planning I can still be pleasantly surprised. Friends are wonderful (hmmm that sounds like a line from Sesame Street).

2 Comments:
I AM LATE!
i was out till late yesterday ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!! WHHEEEE WHEEE WHEEE the LM granma is now 22 lol. hope u had a good bday! (:
Hey. You deserve a good gift (even if it comes in December, hahahahah). I still remember how I had to scrimp and save when Allen and yourself were here. Now that I'm at the vet hospital and I don't pay rent, AND I work weekends (for 4 hours), I have less expense and a tiny tiny tiny tiny income (chihuahua sized).
So my brilliant plan is to accumulate the said amount for gift in account and it's not like I'm using my dad's pocket money to buy you a gift. :D :D
So yah. Wait long long, and Allen if you're out there, I appreciate and remember your generosity too. :)
*licks chops* Taro rolls. And I finished your pretzels thing too from last year. AND I still have the purple postal box it came in. Be a good friend and send taro rolls [and nothing else]. YUM.
Post a Comment
<< Home