Sunday, April 23, 2006

Asylum for the distracted

Sooooo....good to know my blog has SOME purpose other than simply to share my wonderfully creative and unique thoughts.

On the chicken thing. Well I guess we could do with more information about exactly how the chicken came to have more testosterone than normal. But it makes sense anyway. After hundreds and thousands of chickens have been raised and then culled to satisfy our bellies, you'd think at least one was born with dysfuntional glands, so surely it would be completely normal for at least one to have more testosterone than normal?

Btw I have a question. What do farmers do with all the cockerels? I mean...if chickens follow humans and the chances of having hens are 1/2 that of cockerels, and given only one cockerel is needed per dozens of hens...then what happens? You can't/wouldn't eat their meat would you? Or do they actually bother to put the hens in an environment where the younglings will all come out female? Or do they actually have the money to incubate ALL the eggs to ensure all are females? Hmm...actually I guess if you had a really big farm and you kept the whole farm at the right temperature that wouldn't be too expensive. But how about in the olden days when such techonology didn't exist or they hadn't realised that temperature mattered yet?

Okay...sad me reading Equity and Trusts now. I must start bombarding at least 2 lecturers with questions this week, for my 'get a referee for exchange' plan!

Keep focussed: EXCHANGE. EXCHANGE. EXCHANGE.

Btw Eileen, if I'm afraid of anything it's the fact that most of the people in law school in the US will be older than me and have had a fair bit of work experience since it's post grad. Now that freaks me. What if they're already married, have kids? What topics could we have in common aside from the law. And what if they all come to class in suits? Oh boy, that will require major overhauling of MY wardrobe so I don't stick out like a sore thumb. What if we have to do group work and everyone sees me as the little kiddie newbie? *shivers*

I guess I'm not too afraid about not having friends since I figure I'll get along with the other exchange students, but most will probably be from other faculties, so if anything, I'd be concerned about having friends in law school who can stress together with me on the SAME subject.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eileen said...

Welll. Erm. In the dairy industry, *coughs*, baby male calves go to the veal market.
"Life as a veal calf is hellish: in order to produce the tender white flesh fancied by consumers, the calves are confined in tiny crates so that they cannot exercise and grow muscle. They are also fed a liquid diet (intentionally made deficient in iron) which causes them to develop severe anemia, making their flesh even whiter and more tender." - vegan.uchicago.edu/whyvegan/7.html

So erm. In the chicken industry, "The male chicks — because they don't lay eggs and are not economically viable meat chickens — are simply trashed. Some a day or two old, most of them barely even hatched, the male chicks are tossed by the sexers into garbage tubs literally by the thousands. The ones on top form a weighty, suffocating layer, killing the ones beneath." - http://www.animalsvoice.com/PAGES/writes/editorial/investigations/farmed/moretti_eggs.html

"The chicks' next stop is either the gas chamber or the macerator - a giant mincing machine - into which they are tossed alive" - http://www.animalaid.org.uk/farming/shell.htm

Right. Now I'm sorry for polluting your blog comments, but you know, I thought you guys would be interested. :P I HAVE to qualify that that baby male chick thing came from googling in 2 seconds and refer to the plight in the U.S., so I'm not sure what the higher standards of culling in Australia involve, nor am I confident whether the statements are exaggeration and propagated as such.

Lastly, I think I might stop ice cream, chocolates and pastry products containing eggs, again. This is rather distressing. ARGGH.

12:43 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

See. I knew I was going to kick myself with presenting vegan/animal rights information only.

So "Australia has a code of practice ensuring the animals are reared in open pens in small groups and fed a healthy diet of grass or grain after their first two weeks." - http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/04/26/1082831475193.html?from=storyrhs

Okay. That's it from me. It's not really credible because I'm garnering info from the net, so you never know. ;)

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home